Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Undisputed Truth

I had very low expectations for a performance involving Mike Tyson.  When you think about it, who would want to see Mike Tyson box nowadays, let alone do a nearly two hour long monologue.  That being said my expectations were exceeded.  I went to the show since it was only in town for two days and the $30 price point made it irresistible to me.  Worst case scenario, I spend $30 and I get to say I saw Mike Tyson in real life.  Kind of worth it.  Best case scenario you actually enjoy yourself.
Mike Tyson is by no means an actor.  His delivery on some of his jokes was a little off.  That was made up for by the incredible amount of realness in his show.  He showed his vulnerability in explaining his childhood.  Growing up you realize how hard of an early childhood Tyson had.  You start to realize that more than anything, he was a victim of a poverty of opportunity for his early life.  His poor education as a middle school dropout and life of crime, shows how boxing became a natural fit for him since he always had to fight for everything.
The entire show is very crass, if you're offended by profanity or violent and sexually explicit humor, it would not be the show for you.  Tyson stutters a little when telling some of his jokes, but that has not much of an effect on how funny the jokes are.  He actually is a pretty decent story teller, and once you get past the Tyson voice, he actually portrays his story pretty well.
I can tell you with all certainly that I would have never thought that Mike Tyson, with a microphone and a screen showing pictures and video from his life would be successful, but it was well worth it.  I think it would have even been a good value even at two or three times the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment