Thursday, February 13, 2014

Year of the Horse

Near finished product
So I know I’m a couple of weeks late on this blog post, but I’ve been super busy trust me.  I didn’t want to watch the Super Bowl this year, so instead, I went to a party hosted by my friend Lian.  I couldn’t bear to watch this year because of the Seahawks making it to the Super Bowl.  In my head I knew that they would win, but I didn’t want to admit that to even myself.


Action Shot

DOUBLE THE ACTION

Taking Photos of photo takers
This party was perfect though, since it would be mostly Super Bowl free.  We did end up watching the halftime show though.  I decided to play along with the theme and ended up making a vegetarian dumpling.  I was secretly hoping that someone would make one with pork, but I didn’t want to be that guy, so I just made a mushroom leek dumpling.


Anyway my dumpling kicked ass.  All of the other fillings people made were really good too, except for that kimchi one.  I absolutely hate kimchi, and I don’t know how anyone can eat it.  The smell of it makes me sick.


I also wanted to make a cocktail, because I’m good at it and I already had something in mind.  I did a test run the night before just to make sure and it ended up tasting great so everyone got the benefit.


Mushroom-Leek Dumplings


8 ounces cremini mushrooms
8 ounces silken tofu
1 large leek stalk, cleaned and chopped, woody ends removed
1 stalk lemongrass
⅓ Cup tamari
Living the High Life
⅛ Pound Daikon radish cubed
About 30 snow peas julienned
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sriracha
1 tablespoon coconut oil


Method:
1. Brown the mushrooms and leeks in the coconut.  Bruise the lemongrass stalk and add it to the mushroom leek mixture while cooking.  
2. Deglaze with the soy sauce and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat
3.  Remove the lemongrass and add it to the food processor with the tofu, puree until smooth.
4.  Mix in the radish and snow peas for a little crunch and you’re ready to start filling your dumplings.


Pro tip: Fry your dumplings and when you add liquid to finish cooking the dumplings use vegetable stock to steam rather than water.  It makes a huge difference in taste.


Lychee Drink Thing
So I couldn’t come up with a name.   Hey it’s tasty and that’s all that matters.  I did get sold on a vita mix when I was here, since the one they had there made great drinks even though it was a little bit older model.  Anyway to make a pitcher of this frozen goodness, this is how you do it.

Ingredients:
2 Sprigs Rosemary leaves removed from woody stems
2 cans lychees, drained and frozen
Ready to be cooked
½ Cup Gin
½ Cup Green Tea Vodka
½ Cup Ginger Liqueur
Juice of one Lemon
8 oz. Coconut Water
3 tablespoons reserved syrup from lychees


Blend all ingredients until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment