Sunday, May 26, 2013

Do I like Pies, Bacon and Beer? Yes, Chef!


My Saturday started off with me driving up to Snaidero in Chicago for a signing of Marcus Samuelsson’s book Yes Chef.  He is touring for the release of the book in paperback form.  The venue was basically a showroom for all of these amazing Italian kitchen setups that I will probably never be able to afford in my lifetime, though they were pretty good and interesting to see. The little marketplace that they were displayed in could be a cool little place to window shop.  It’s kind of how I feel whenever I browse through some outrageously priced store.  I make a pretty decent amount of money but there’s nothing like walking through a place like that to make you feel absolutely poor.

Chef and I
I’ve been a big fan of Marcus Samuelsson ever since his somewhat underdog victory on Top Chef Masters.  Being a big fan of Top Chef in general, it was pretty good season to watch him compete and I honestly didn’t he would win at all until a few episodes before the end of season two.  He was born in Ethiopia and raised in Sweden.  His dishes take on that eclectic global fusion cuisine.  I did get a chance to eat at C-House, his restaurant in Chicago and I thought that it was okay, but it was a deviation from his typical cuisine which introduces bold and vibrant African flavors.  In all honesty, I don’t think that Chicago needed another contemporary American restaurant.  Though the food there was good, I think that the citizens of Chicago and I were in agreement on this sentiment as the C-House went to restaurant heaven.  Someday I will make it to Harlem to try Red Rooster.

Signing My Book
Marcus is an easy going person.  My friend Tiffany referred to him as that jerk on Chopped, but I don’t think you can judge the character of a person based on them doing their job, to be critical of the food which is served to them in a competition.  He’s actually a pretty nice guy and I actually got a chance to show a couple of pictures of some of the food that I made.  He seemed a little impressed by my presentation, and I felt a little validated as a home cook.  In hindsight I wish I could have overcame my overwhelming starstruckness in order to be able to ask him a few questions about technique cooking wise.

I would enjoy the casual mingling among the crowd and tasting the various hors d’ouvers at the singing.  For $50 I felt as though it was an awesome bargain to have the chance to meet a celeb chef, have a couple of glasses of wine and have some tasty little bites.  There was smoked salmon accompanied by a thin dressing of lemon and dill served on thin slices of bread.  My favorite was the cured beef with a little bit of a mango jam and orange zest.  It was slightly salty from the cure and the meaty strong earthy flavors of the beef were balanced by the sweetness of the jam.

Tiffany's Pie
For dinner I picked up my fiend Tiffany and we went to dinner at Pleasant House.  I wanted to get something relatively cheap and quick and that’s what we eventually decided on though we talked about going to Red Door and also tried to go to another place that was not yet open.  The only downside to Pleasant House is if you aren’t really looking for it you can drive by it several times.  If it was a snake it would have bit me, after circling the block twice we ended up dining at the place.  There was a little bit of a line but we ended up making an order.  I would have the steak and ale pie and she would have the chicken pie.  The crust on the pie is very tender flaky and buttery.  Once you got through that amazing golden brown crust you had this amazing combination of very tender and delicate steak surrounded by a rich sauce that bought me back to my childhood.  I remember growing up enjoying many of those frozen pot pies.  This was so far elevated from that standard though.  On the side I had mashed potatoes that were very smooth and buttery and the gravy was one of the tastiest I’ve had in a long time.  I’m still wondering what gave that gravy such character.
Tiffany’s pie had chicken and was accompanied by a subtle acidity but more sweetness than anything based on the quality of tomatoes cooked into her pie.  It also came with this chutney that really reminded me of a chimichurri.  

They did not sell alcohol but they did have a great artisanal drink selection.  I ended up having the house made ginger soda.  I could have had a little more spice for my taste but my threshold of spice is much higher than the average person so I can understand the choice to rein it in and create a slightly sweet drink that was palatable for the masses.  She ended up having the house made hibiscus soda, which was good as well, but we ended up making the right selections because she enjoyed her drink better and I enjoyed my drink better.  

After checking into the place on Foursquare I found out that the mushroom and kale pie was one of Time Out Chicago’s best dishes.  I had to try so I ended up ordering it to go.  They asked me if would be okay to pack a cold one and I that was just perfect for me since I didn’t plan on eating it until much later.  They gave heating instructions that I would follow.  It reminded me why I no longer eat those pot pies, 45 minutes is quite a bit of a wait.  My patience was rewarded by the great combo of those earthy mushrooms and kale.  For me I can’t really decide if it was better than the steak and ale pie since I am judging a fresh pie against a reheated one.  That aside it was honestly almost as good as the steak and ale pie which was a bit of a surprise.

Fast Forward to Tuesday night.  I went out to dinner at Heaven on Seven.  They were having a bacon and beer dinner.  Eight course of food containing bacon alongside a beer by Ommegang with each course.  I got there much too early because I guess anticipation built up so much that I thought that the dinner was a 6:30 instead of 7. Anyway the dinner got off to a great start.  The first course was popcorn.  I am not really a fan of popcorn but this popcorn was particularly good because where butter would have been used bacon fat took it’s place.  If they did this at movie theatres I would probably weigh 300 pounds easily.  There is something magical about surrounding light and airy kernels of popcorn with rich and salty bacon fat.  That subtle smokiness can turn popcorn haters like me into a huge fan.  With that first course they served the Gnomegang, a light beer that I liked quite a bit.

"BLT"
Next up was the BLT.  Applewood smoked bacon jam, on a crostini with arugula.   I have my complaints about this dish.  The size of the tomato made it a little difficult and unwieldy to eat, even though the jam was quite tasty.  I liked the idea of playing on the sweet and salty parts of the palate and then balancing off with a bit of acidity from the tomato.  I also thought that the one single leaf of arugula kind of left me there thinking what is the point really.  You couldn’t taste the arugula at all alongside the overpoweringly strong flavors of bacon jam.  It went well with the biere D’ Hougoumont.

The next dish was the one that I was the most interested in and also the low point of the evening.  An avocado soup with double hickory smoked bacon.  In my mind I expected the soup to be cold because who in their right mind would heat avocado.  Excuse my writing, I don’t think that point had quite enough emphasis… WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD HEAT AVACADO?!?!  It just ended up being very weird, a creamy taste of nothing that was trying to be redeemed by some wonderful tasty smoked bacon.  Avocado on it’s own doesn’t have the greatest or most memorable flavor in the world and they robbed that avocado of what I think was it’s best quality.  It’s creamy texture.  It was accompanied by white, which was ironically the lightest and most tasteless beer of the night. 

Chicken Creole
Things picked right back up after those couple of stumbles into a blissful combination of pecan smoked bacon and chicken.  The chicken creole had rich gravy whose amazing taste and complex flavors could only be achieved by a long cooked dark roux.  Piling that on top of perfectly creamy cheesy grits and you’ve got something special.  This dish had everything the subtle acid of a bit of tomato, built upon a strong combination developed by the trinity.  I wish I had more of it.  It was also topped with raw scallions to provide another light touch of onion flavor.  It went well with the Iron Throne.

Scallops
Wild boar wrapped scallops with a habanero red bean puree.  Someone else at the table commented that they liked the red beans and they liked the scallops but didn’t like them together.  I am not personally a fan of bacon wrapped around scallops because it ropes you into one particular preparation.  Baking.  Scallops are one thing that is an exception to the rule of everything being better with bacon.  One thing I love about getting scallops is getting a good sear and enjoying the wonderful taste that golden brown carmelization produces.  Baking does not give you that.  Searing off scallops for a dining room of that many people could have proved to be a challenge for the kitchen though. The dish was nice though, and the habanero in the red beans did not prove to be overwhelmingly hot so they were used with just the right hand.

The firth course and I weren’t spectacular friends.  It was tasty don’t get me wrong, but when you break down the play by play it was really just a bacon burger.  There were good points to the slider the caramelized onions, but the barbecue sauce was borderline too sweet for me.  The shoestring potatoes were good to me but most people passed on tasting them.  

Pork Belly
The main event, the star of the show was the pork belly.  I will always have a soft spot in my heart (and a warm place in my stomach) for pork belly.  Pork belly is what bacon is made from.  This particular version was glazed with root beer and served over johnnycakes.  I’m surprised there wasn’t much uproar about it because looking at the plates come out of the kitchen, they definitely lacked consistency in the cutting of the pork belly.  I had no reason to complain because I had the biggest piece of pork belly at my table and it was almost twice as large as another one.  It was just a major failure as far as consistency goes.  That aside there is something great about a well-cooked piece of pork belly.  There was a little bit of sweetness from the root beer and I wish they would have had a little more of the glaze, because the johnnycake was a little dry.  Otherwise it was often.

I took one bite of the pecan pie topped with bacon before I decided that if I took just one more bite my stomach would probably explode.  It had great texture, good sweetness and I love how the saltiness of the bacon went with it.  It would make a great snack later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment