Saturday, August 3, 2013

Lollapalooza 2013: Friday Recap

Lollapalooza is my favorite summer music festival.   Not only from a music standpoint, but the food is awesome every time I’ve been there.  You can attribute this to Master Chef Judge and winner of two Michelin stars Graham Elliott being the culinary director for the event.  He is a really nice guy as well and offered everybody free popcorn last year after the festival got rained out for a little bit.  It was one of the few moments of my life of where I was truly star struck.

The Neighbourhood
Before the gates opened, I used Parkwhiz in order to get parking downtown for the entire weekend for just $33.  When you consider that the hotel charges upwards of $70 per night, that savings is tremendous.    The parking was a little bit of a walk though, just a quarter of a mile.   After parking though I would have breakfast at Harold’s Chicken.  It had been a long time since I had Harold’s and I had been longing for a quarter dark with mild sauce.  This location took a while to get the food ready, but it was worth the wait in order to get that crispy fried chicken with that sweet tangy sauce on top.

This was the first year I’ve ever made it when the gates were opening.  The traffic on the way to Chicago was much less than I expected, and the drive there which I expected to take like an hour and a half only took like thirty minutes.  This was fine though and it gave me a chance to exchange my wristband since the one I had wouldn’t scan as well as do some walking around.

Triple Truffle Fries
The first band I saw was The Neighbourhood.  I honestly thought this band was British for the longest time.  Yeah I know they don’t sound British at all, but they spell “Neighbourhood” with a “u” so I thought has to be a British band.  Not true though.  This was also a very hard choice to end up seeing them as I really wanted to see Robert Delong, but I have tickets to the after show featuring Robert Delong on Saturday night, so it was more prudent choice to see The Neighbourhood.

They definitely didn’t disappoint at all, getting the festival off to a great start, as lead vocalist Jesse Rutherford swooned his way through verse after verse.  My appreciation for the band only grew more after seeing them live.  They are a pretty mellow alternative rock band that often uses mellowed out beats the likes of which you could easily see being used in a song like Ice Cube's Today "Was a Good Day".  It is a welcomed backdrop to lyrics that range from the romantic and mellow “Sweater Weather” to the darker and more introspective tracks like “Afraid” and “W.D.Y.W.F.M.?”
Atlas Genius
A note on drinking at Lollapalooza.  The cheapest legitimate way to drink there is to buy bottles of wine for $25.  The next stop was to pick up a bottle of a Chardonnay, which was just slightly oaky and buttery, but not too much.  Thorny Rose does all of the wine for Lollapalooza.  If you have a pocket flask though and you were to fill that with spiced rum, it is the perfect combination with Sweet Leaf's Citrus Tea.  By perfection combination I do mean perfect as you get the vanilla notes of the rum blending in and playing off of the citrus notes of the tea.

Next up was San Cisco.  They’re a cool Australian band and you’ve gotta appreciate any band that has a female drummer.  Female drummers are awesome.  They were clearly in that band that has that one song you know category when I saw them.  Their song “Awkward” is so bright and cheeky and has this irresistibly light and bright pop vibe.   You can’t help but indulge yourself in that a little bit.  The band in general is kind of dorky and super hipster, which is fine with me.  The performance was pretty good and I will be checking out more of their music later on though.


The best French Fries I’ve ever had in my entire life.  Yes they were here at Lollapalooza.  I get them multiple times every year at least once or twice a day.  The Triple Truffle Fries from Franks ‘N’ Dawgs are absolutely so good out of this world incredibly freaking awesome worth killing and dying for.  Undeniably the undisputed king of Fries.  They are light a crisp waffle fries that are airy and perfectly salted and the truffle makes everything slightly earthy and delicious.

Then we quickly headed over to see Icona Pop.  Of course I went to indulge in the amazing guilty pleasure of their summer anthem “I Don’t Care”.  What I don’t understand about this song is that I should hate it, but it just works.  As soon as you hear that beat with that Swedish duo aggressively singing those lyrics at you, you can’t help but get excited.  The crowd went absolutely crazy as soon as they started that song, ending their set more impressively than a well-executed Ultra combo in Killer Instinct.


Atlas Genius is one of those sneaky good bands.  When looking through the schedule I was like man that band sounds familiar.  Then I went online to listen to some of their songs and it was like man I know all of those songs.  Their most popular song has to be "If So".  I love the upbeat melodies of this band that is in many of their songs like "Trojans".  Keith Jeffery balances out those higher pitched upbeat chords with his intriguing mellow and somewhat raspy voice.  Really a great band with an album well worth buying.


Crystal Castles
Next up in the bands that your friend drags you to category was Crystal Castles.  They have a very interesting electronic type of sound that isn’t too upbeat and plays off of the high pitched vocals of the female lead singer.  It was a very intriguing performance to say the least, but by that time we had shared three bottles of wine already so I wasn’t the most coherent.

Along the way, Samsung had this promotion to switch out your battery on my phone for a fresh one.  I have a lot of spares off of Amazon for events as such, but it was still convenient to use the one they were giving away.  As an extra bonus they gave meal coupons to Grahamwhich.  I’ve got to say I was a little bit disappointed with my lobster corn dog this year as it tasted as though it had been sitting under a heat lamp for a while and the lobster was definitely overcooked.  I would have asked for my money back on it if I paid anything more than free.

Next up was one of my favorites of the day Imagine Dragons.  I first started listening to Imagine Dragons with the release of their upbeat and poppy ballad “It’s Time”.  Though I first saw the song when it was performed on Glee, I quickly became a fan of the band more for their musical diversity more than anything.  The band goes from that folky twang of the banjo on “It’s Time”, to a little bit of Dubstep on “Radioactive”.


Soooo Many people....
So I have to be honest I’ve never heard of New Order.  To be honest I could have done without hearing about them.  Another one in that bands you’re dragged to category, New Order, just reminds me of everything that was wrong with music in the 80’s.   It’s just music which is so in between that it ends up being unpleasant.  Musically they are like one of those movies that tried to use a special effect that is a bit before their time.  Nothing bad about that, it’s just the nostalgia effect is lost on me since I am unfamiliar with their music.


The day finished up with Nine Inch Nails.  This is the band I had honestly been looking the most forward too.  It got off to a bad start for me simply because the more drunk I get the more I tend to use my watch over my phone for time.  My watch was set an hour slow.  So I missed the first 15 minutes of NIN.  There were two problems I had with this show, one was that they performed too many songs of their new material.  It made their set seem like more of a reflective art project than the hard rock they are known for.  The experienced was also worsened by the fact that the screens weren’t working and you could barely see anything.  It was still a good performance by them especially hearing songs like “Hurt” and “Head Like a Hole” but I think I had unattainably high expectations for that performance.




No comments:

Post a Comment