Saturday, August 3, 2013

No Animals Harmed 3: Zucchini "Bacon" Cheeseburgers and Ginger Sesame Ice Cream

So I was celebrating a Birthday.  Nothing screams out birthday food to me more than a bacon cheeseburger.  Kind of hard to do that for your vegetarian friend’s birthday though.  This proved to be not as big of a challenge that I originally thought as I found pretty good alternatives to the real deal.  For the burger I went with Gardien's Beefless Burger patty.  As far as veggie burger patties go, I pass on Morningstar use Monsanto products.   There is probably no corporation on


earth I hate more than Monsanto but I digress.  This Gardien burger isn’t my favorite veggie burger though, that title would have to go to Light Life’s burger, but vegans should steer clear of that one.

For the bacon I’m a big fan of Tepeh bacon.  I actually think that tempeh bacon rivals the taste of regular bacon.  OK I take it back, it doesn’t rival, but offers a satisfying alternative to regular bacon that seems to be the more justifiable choice to eat when you consider the calorie savings.  This time I wanted to try out Light Life's Smart Bacon.  The method is so simple I’m going to abandon that typical format of ingredients and such and just go straight to the burger making.

One of the guy’s at work is growing way too much zucchini in his garden to eat.  They made the perfect compliment for this burger.  For it I cut the massively overlarge zucchini into large round, that ended up being as big as my burger patty.  I brushed them with a mushroom sage infused olive oil and seasoned each side with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.   I’m lucky to have a specialty olive oil shop that is not too far from me.  Twisted Olive carries tons of good ones, and this one went well for the burger.  Then I just threw everything on the grill.  Yeah I know it is summer so I should be grilling outside… but the city of Romeoville has this stupid rule that says you can only have a gas grill in an apartment.  Some genius thinks that coals are much more dangerous than propane tanks.  Anyhow my grill of choice is Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler.  Vegan cheese is hard to melt, so I make a little dome using a metal bowl and some hot water,  to let the steam melt the cheese.

In about ten minutes I was taking everything off of the grill and brushing my freshly toasted buns with a little bit of vegan mayo.  While we’re on the subject of mayo, I just want to throw this out there.  Fresh made mayo > Vegan Mayo > Store bought Mayo > Miracle Whip.  Yeah, personal opinion but vegan store bought mayo tastes much better to me than store bought brands made with real eggs.

For the ice cream I decided to get a little creative.  I had been wanting to try this for a while.  A long time ago, I had some Haagen Dazs Coconut Sesame Brittle Ice Cream which is now discontinued sadly.  I wanted to do an ice cream that lived up to that.  I made a pretty good vegan version that used coconut milk, and had the spice of candied ginger throughout. 

Ingredients:
  • ½ Gallon Unsweetened Coconut Milk
  • ½ Cup Candied Ginger
  • 1 Teaspoon freshly grated ginger
  • ¼ Cup Coconut Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
  • ½ Cup Brown sugar (As a warning though, I’m not a huge sweets fan so this ice cream is just barely sweet, if you like sweet desserts, you should go for a whole cup)
  • 3 Tablespoons Arrowroot Powder.

 

  1. Combine all the ingredients in a stock pot reserving 1 cup of the Coconut milk, the arrowroot powder and the candied ginger.  Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes
  2. Whisk together the arrowroot powder with the reserved coconut milk.
  3. Stir the two mixtures together and let thicken.
  4. Strain and chill the ice cream base until fully chilled in the refrigerator.
  5. Throw it in your ice cream maker using manufacturer’s instructions, adding the candied ginger halfway through.  My ice cream maker is Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Ice Cream Maker.
A note on the arrowroot powder,  I could have gotten it at Whole Foods, but I totally didn't feel like driving so I just ordered off of Amazon.  It is versatile and can be used to thicken pretty much anything and used like cornstarch.


No comments:

Post a Comment