Tuesday, August 13, 2013

No Animals Harmed 4:Vegan Fettuccine Bolongese

After a trip to the farmers market, I was pretty set on what I wanted to end up cooking it was one of those times where I already had the dish mapped out in my head.  I wanted pasta.  At the market there were these great crememi mushrooms on sale for $2.50 a pint.  I had to take advantage of them for this recipe and they provide the meatiness for my meatless Bolongese sauce.  If you prefer a more classic carnivorous version, my friend Phenix has an excellent version on his blog.

Ingredients:
1/2 Large Sweet Onion Diced
3 Celery Stalks Diced
3 Medium Carrots Diced
2 Bay Leaves
3 Cloves Garlic Minced
4 oz Tomato Paste
1/4 Bottle Dry White Wine
1- 15 oz can San Marzano Tomatoes
1 Pint Cremini Mushrooms Finely Diced
1/8 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Fresh Oregano
3 Tablespoons Fresh Basil



  1. Season the onion, celery, garlic, bay leaves and carrots and sweat over medium low heat in the extra virgin olive oil until the onions are translucent and the veggies are soft. Stir frequently so the veggies don't caramelize.
  2. Add in the tomato paste and stir until it coats the veggies and is fragrant.  Add in the finely diced mushrooms
  3. Deglaze the pan using the white wine, and allow to reduce until you have a thick sauce.
  4. Add in the tomatoes and mash them into the sauce and mash them a bit using a potato masher.
  5. Add In diced fresh herbs.  If using dried herbs you want to use a third of the amount and add them in during the sweat.
  6. Serve over pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment